LEARN THE ESSENTIALS FOR COASTAL KAYAKERS.
This full-day course introduces students to the fundamental knowledge and skills necessary to safely enjoy the sport of sea kayaking in the near shore environment (waves < 1ft; winds <10kn)
This course is taught according to the standards outlined in the American Canoe Association's Level 2 and Level 3 Coastal Kayak curriculum. Click here for a detailed outline.
SKILLS TAUGHT IN THIS COURSE
STROKES AND MANEUVERS: Forward; reverse; emergency stopping; low bracing; sweep strokes; pivot turns; draws; edging (i.e., J-leans) for both balance and maneuvering.
RESCUE AND SAFETY: How to safely enter and exit a kayak from shore; deep water capsizes (i.e., wet exits with a spray skirt); assisted reentry in deep water (e.g., the T rescue and drain); solo reentry in deep water (e.g., scramble reentry; paddlefloat-assisted reentry); rafting for support; and contact towing.
PRIOR COURSES: None. Just a willingness to get challenge yourself and get wet!
AGE LIMITS: 14 and over only, please. Participants under 16 must be accompanied by an adult. Participants over 16 but under 18 must have a waiver signed by a legal guardian.
HEIGHT & WEIGHT LIMITS: In order to ensure your comfort and safety, participants should be between 5' and 6'4" tall and 95 lbs to 235 lbs.
NON-DISCRIMINATORY ESSENTIAL ELIGIBILITY CRITERIA
In order to participate in this program, each participant must satisfy the following essential eligibility criteria:
- Be able to independently participate in all individual skills and activities while also maintaining an appropriate and safe body position.
- Be able to hold their breath while under water and, while in the water wearing a properly fitted lifejacket, be able to independently turn from a face down to a face up position keeping their head above water.
- Be able to effectively communicate with the instructor and other program participants.
- Be able to manage all personal care independently, or with the assistance of a companion.
- Be able to manage all personal mobility independently, or with the assistance of a companion.