GET STARTED ON THE RIGHT FOOT. OR IS THAT FEET?
This half-day introductory class is designed to get you started paddleboarding the right way.
This course is taught according to the standards outlined in the American Canoe Association's Level 1 SUP curriculum. Click here for a detailed outline.
SKILLS TAUGHT IN THIS COURSE
STROKES AND MANEUVERS: Forward and reverse paddling; draws; bracing (high brace; low brace); sweep strokes (forward and reverse); pivot turns; prone paddling; stances: kneeling; neutral; and surf.
SAFETY SKILLS: Safe launching and landing techniques; correct body and hand positioning; falling (with style!); leash use; unassisted & assisted remounting of board in deep water; techniques for assisting exhausted or injured paddlers.
PRIOR COURSES: None. Just a willingness to get challenge yourself and get wet!
AGE LIMITS: 14 and over only, please. Participants under 16 must be accompanied by an adult. Participants over 16 but under 18 must have a waiver signed by a legal guardian.
HEIGHT & WEIGHT LIMITS: In order to ensure your comfort and safety, participants should be between 5' and 6'4" tall and 95 lbs to 235 lbs.
NON-DISCRIMINATORY ESSENTIAL ELIGIBILITY CRITERIA
In order to participate in this program, each participant must satisfy the following essential eligibility criteria:
- Be able to independently participate in all individual skills and activities while also maintaining an appropriate and safe body position.
- Be able to hold their breath while under water and, while in the water wearing a properly fitted lifejacket, be able to independently turn from a face down to a face up position keeping their head above water.
- Be able to effectively communicate with the instructor and other program participants.
- Be able to manage all personal care independently, or with the assistance of a companion.
- Be able to manage all personal mobility independently, or with the assistance of a companion.