READY TO TRY PADDLEBOARDING?
This short course is a quick introduction to the fast-growing sport of standup paddleboarding. With the help of an instructor, you'll learn just the basics you need to get started in the world of SUP.
LOCATION FOR THIS COURSE
This course meets on the beach at Whiskey Island, just east of Edgewater Park. Use the parking lot for the volleyball courts.
SKILLS TAUGHT IN THIS COURSE
STROKES AND MANEUVERS: Forward and reverse paddling; draws; sweep strokes (forward and reverse); and stances: kneeling; neutral; and surf.
RESCUE AND SAFETY: Safe launching and landing techniques; correct body and hand positioning; falling (with style!); leash use; unassisted & assisted remounting of board in deep water.
PRIOR COURSES: None. Just a willingness to get challenge yourself and get wet!
AGE LIMITS: 14 and over only, please. Participants under 16 must be accompanied by an adult. Participants over 16 but under 18 must have a waiver signed by a legal guardian.
HEIGHT & WEIGHT LIMITS: In order to ensure your comfort and safety, participants should be between 5' and 6'4" tall and 95 lbs to 235 lbs.
NON-DISCRIMINATORY ESSENTIAL ELIGIBILITY CRITERIA
In order to participate in this program, each participant must satisfy the following essential eligibility criteria:
- Be able to independently participate in all individual skills and activities while also maintaining an appropriate and safe body position.
- Be able to hold their breath while under water and, while in the water wearing a properly fitted lifejacket, be able to independently turn from a face down to a face up position keeping their head above water.
- Be able to effectively communicate with the instructor and other program participants.
- Be able to manage all personal care independently, or with the assistance of a companion.
- Be able to manage all personal mobility independently, or with the assistance of a companion.