EXPLORE KELLEYS ISLAND
This tour starts from the beach at Kelleys Island State Park. Participants will take the Kelleys Island ferry to the island. Shuttle service from the ferry to the State Park will be provided.
HOW FAR You'll PADDLE:
About 5 nautical miles.
WHAT YOU'LL SEE:
A working harbor complete with ore boats, tugs, and other commercial ships; two operational lighthouses and an abandoned Coast Guard station; panoramic views of the Cleveland skyline, and close up views of the Rock n' Roll Hall of Fame, the Great Lakes Science Center, and Browns Stadium. Wildlife sightings include: great blue heron, cormorants, and ducks.
CONDITIONS TO EXPECT:
This paddle take place primarily behind the harbor breakwall, so conditions remain generally flat. However, boat traffic can kick up wakes and chop, especially in the area around the Cuyahoga River.
3 hours (approximately 2 hrs 15 minutes paddling)
Single or tandem sea kayak and equipment (paddle, life-jacket, whistle, spray skirt, and white safety light).
GUIDE TO PARTICIPANT RATIO
SKILL LEVEL: No experience necessary. This tour is appropriate for beginners who are comfortable on the water and accustomed to moderate exercise.
AGE LIMITS: 14 and over only, please. Participants under 18 must be accompanied by an adult. Participants ages 12 and over may participate as the front paddler in a tandem with an adult.
HEIGHT & WEIGHT LIMITS: In order to ensure your comfort and safety, participants should be between 5' and 6'4" tall and 95 lbs to 235 lbs.
NON-DISCRIMINATORY ESSENTIAL ELIGIBILITY CRITERIA
In order to participate in this program, each participant must satisfy the following essential eligibility criteria:
- Be able to independently participate in all individual skills and activities while also maintaining an appropriate and safe body position.
- Be able to hold their breath while under water and, while in the water wearing a properly fitted lifejacket, be able to independently turn from a face down to a face up position keeping their head above water.
- Be able to effectively communicate with the instructor and other program participants.
- Be able to manage all personal care independently, or with the assistance of a companion.
- Be able to manage all personal mobility independently, or with the assistance of a companion.