RESET YOUR CLOCK TO ISLAND TIME
Slow down and take a day to recharge on Kelleys Island.
This day is all about unplugging and invoking the spirit of "blue mind," utilizing the science of water as medicine for mind, body, and soul.
Our Kelleys Island SUP experience will have you on, in, and near the water for a day filled with fun and relaxation.
The day begins with a morning SUP lesson in North Bay. Picnic lunch on the Northern alvar overlooking Lake Erie with view of the Bass Islands A leisure paddle to Long Point. Hike to an abandonded quarry turned nature preserve for reflection and medidation. Finish your day with a SUP yoga session.
Our program starts on the beach at Kelleys Island State Park. Shuttle service from the ferry terminal to the State Park will be provided.
WHAT YOU'LL SEE:
Kelleys Island's northern shore is home to the north shore alvar, a unique ecosystem formed by sheets of limestone rock that project into Lake Erie. We'll start in the blue waters of North Bay, and explore the low cliffs and pebble beaches that form Long Point. As we paddle, look for osprey, egrets, Great Blue heron, and the once-endangered (and entirely harmless!) Lake Erie water snake.
CONDITIONS TO EXPECT:
North Bay is relatively protected, and due to a gently sloping sand bottom, makes a perfect place to learn to paddle in swells and small waves, if they are present. If stronger winds are in the forecast, we'll seek more protected water by launching in a different location.
7 hours (approximately 5 hours paddling, with plenty of breaks)
Glide 10' or 11' stand-up paddleboard, leash, and inflatable waist-mounted PFD or inherently bouyant PFD.
GUIDE TO PARTICIPANT RATIO
SKILL LEVEL: No experience necessary. This tour is appropriate for beginners who are comfortable on the water and accustomed to moderate exercise.
AGE LIMITS: 14 and over only, please. Participants under 18 must be accompanied by an adult. Participants ages 12 and over may participate as the front paddler in a tandem with an adult.
HEIGHT & WEIGHT LIMITS: In order to ensure your comfort and safety, participants should be between 5' and 6'4" tall and 95 lbs to 235 lbs.
NON-DISCRIMINATORY ESSENTIAL ELIGIBILITY CRITERIA
In order to participate in this program, each participant must satisfy the following essential eligibility criteria:
- Be able to independently participate in all individual skills and activities while also maintaining an appropriate and safe body position.
- Be able to hold their breath while under water and, while in the water wearing a properly fitted lifejacket, be able to independently turn from a face down to a face up position keeping their head above water.
- Be able to effectively communicate with the instructor and other program participants.
- Be able to manage all personal care independently, or with the assistance of a companion.
- Be able to manage all personal mobility independently, or with the assistance of a companion.