What's a pirates favorite letter? You might think it's "arrrrr," but pirates really love the SEA.
This short tour is specially designed for kids. We keep the distance short, and emphasize having fun on the water with squirt guns, splash bombs, and games.
And, without even knowing it, they'll be learning important water safety skills such as the importance of life-jackets, climbing back onto a kayak or boat from the water, and interacting with boat traffic.
All participants must have an accompanying parent or responsible adult (1:2 ratio).
This tour meets at the 41 North Yak Shack, located in the Cleveland Metroparks Rocky River Reservation in Lakewood, Ohio. Click the link or use the map below for directions to the Shack.
HOW FAR You'll PADDLE:
About 2 nautical miles.
WHAT YOU'LL SEE:
This paddle takes place on the Rocky River. We'll launch at our shop and head upstream for a brief lesson to make sure we can maneuver our kayaks. Then, we'll paddle down the river, through an impressive shale valley, past marinas and riverfront homes, and finally out onto Lake Erie (weather conditions permitting) for an epic water fight and a chance for participants to "walk the plank!"
CONDITIONS TO EXPECT:
The Rocky River is a flatwater river with no current. Depending on the weather, we may experience some chop on the Lake, but we won't venture out if winds are over 10kn and waves over 1ft.
2 hours (approximately 1 hr paddling).
Tandem sit-on-top kayak and equipment (paddle, life-jacket, whistle, spray skirt, and white safety light). Tandems may accomodate 1 adult and 2 children (if one is very small!).
GUIDE TO Boat RATIO
SKILL LEVEL: No experience necessary. This tour is appropriate for beginners who are comfortable on the water and accustomed to moderate exercise.
AGE LIMITS: This tour is for children aged 3-12. All children must be accompanied by a responsible adult (2 children to every adult) who will paddle with them in a tandem.
HEIGHT & WEIGHT LIMITS: In order to ensure your comfort and safety, adult participants should be between 5' and 6'4" tall and 95 lbs to 235 lbs. Children should be 30lbs and up for this tour.
NON-DISCRIMINATORY ESSENTIAL ELIGIBILITY CRITERIA
In order to participate in this program, each participant must satisfy the following essential eligibility criteria:
- Be able to independently participate in all individual skills and activities while also maintaining an appropriate and safe body position.
- Be able to hold their breath while under water and, while in the water wearing a properly fitted lifejacket, be able to independently turn from a face down to a face up position keeping their head above water.
- Be able to effectively communicate with the instructor and other program participants.
- Be able to manage all personal care independently, or with the assistance of a companion.
- Be able to manage all personal mobility independently, or with the assistance of a companion.